28 December 2006

It sucks : The Altivo Bar @ The Jewel Box

Not every food is tasty; not every place is nice and not every person is good. I am going to blog some of my bad experience that I encounter personally. Here is it, ladies and gentlemen I would like to present you The Jewel Box. For your information, The Jewel Box is located on mt. Faber.


I dined at the Altivo Bar with my colleagues days before Christmas. I really had a bad dinning experience at that restaurant.



There are 3 occasions that I am pissed:
  1. We had our reservation on Friday night. The staff told us that we can have a ride on the cable car at the rate of SGD 3 if we dine in at the restaurant. What happened when we reached there was we have to pay for SGD 10.90 for the cable car because the promotion is only applies on Mon to Thu. Since We made our reservation on Friday, the staff shouldn't tell us the special rate that only applies on Mon to Thu. We tried to argue but they refused to give us the special rate. I feel cheated and so are my colleagues. I thought of cancel the reservation but my colleague's credit card number has been taken down. That's means we will be charged upon cancellation of the reservation. Looks like it is well planned (the trap). In the end my colleagues paid SGD 10.90 for the cable car and one of my colleague and I pay SGD 3 for the 'bubble' snow show. It is compulsory.
  2. Secondly was the ordering. We were looking at the most expensive dish on the menu, it was the "Prawn and steak plate". We ask the waiter what does it has in the dish and he told us there are a steak and 3 BIG prawns according to his description (with the aim of his hands). So we order 5 and I request for mid-rare for my steak. When it came, according to our description the prawns is normal size (I think the waiter never see a tiger prawn before and he has problem describing size with the use of hands) and 3 prawns become 2 prawns. Thus, we asked the same waiter. Guess what did he answer us? He said due to the heavy rain the delivery of the prawn is delayed (Yes, he is joking). So we stare at him, now he sensed the tension and apologized (waiter:"Sorry, sorry") and walked off.
  3. Lastly and the most hilarious. When our drinks came, the waiter (the same waiter as above) leave the drinks on my left hand side and spoke to me. "Can you help me to pass around (the drinks)? " was what he said. I was shocked and I ignored him. I am speechless! Hello! This is not a kopitiam. Even kopitiam's auntie won't ask me to pass around the drinks. This is ridiculous! What the heck I am paying for the 10% service charge? This is the first time I ever encounter this kind of service.
Our conclusion?
Bad service, nasty food, nice view, nice decorations and good ambience.

My suggestion?
I would like to suggest the management of The Jewel Box to train their staff properly and set a better standard of service. Else with the can-you-help-me-to-pass-around kind of service will have to rewrite "Singapore's Iconic Hilltop Destination" to "Singapore's Iconic Jokes".


The snow show
(click to enlarge)



Entrance decoration. NICE!
(click to enlarge)

No comments: